My First Japanese Essay March 3rd marked a new milestone in my Japanese journey: I wrote my first essay in Japanese! Now, even though: It was not incredibly long. It was not incredibly interesting. It was incredible that I could do it at all! These nine lines are awesome because of all that they mean beyond the words themselves. Being able to write a short description of my day meant I knew how to write the language, I knew enough grammar to properly construct the sentences, and I knew enough vocabulary to communicate the ideas. And most of all, that I had worked really, really hard to learn enough in those three areas to do it! So what does the essay say? Here's the English translation: Every morning I wake up at 7:00am. Around 7:30 I get in the shower. Around 8:00 I eat breakfast. I like eggs. I go to work at 8:30. At 12 in the afternoon I eat lunch. Afterward, the dog and I go for a walk. Around 1 in the afternoon I work again. Interesting, isn't it? :) As I said, not ...
I) Intro: In which a crazy person does something crazy I began studying Japanese in December of 2020. We were nine months into the COVID-19 pandemic. I had spent the majority of that year indoors in a two-bedroom apartment with my wife and dog. When shit hit the fan, I was working as a manager of a software development team for a Kansas City company, and we transitioned into "remote working" nearly instantly. In a matter of days nearly all of my daily socialization was gone. (Later, I would replace it by buying houseplants to attend to. Still later, those houseplants would receive names. But that's a different story...) As the months whirled by, the "pandemic week" began to settle into a bizarro-normalized routine. My work schedule was the center axle around which my daily life spun, and I was the anxiety-ridden, wide-eyed hamster running within the wheel. We're all going to die! But maybe not tomorrow! So I need to keep working! Gotta have money to buy foo...
SUMIMASEN / EXCUSE ME With all due respect:::::::----> What the hell kind of language am I learning right now? What even is this? KORE WA NAN DESU KA I watched the first episode of "Kimi No Petto" on the DramaJapan Youtube . I've watched "Japanese Dramas" before on this channel* but this was the first I've watched with English subtitles to display the meaning. (*if that's even what they show, which I have further questions about... I'm misled but I'm ok with it) I had so many thoughts and questions while watching the episode. So many that I was kind of glad that youtube now shows unskippable ads, because I needed a few minutes to process what in the hell I just heard. Not saw, no: Heard. Having spent a whole (single.) entire (only 1 single one.) year in the general .... Japanese .... learning... sphere(?) , I've heard some intro stuff enough that it when it comes across again, I try to consider it more deeply. Because why do they kee...
Comments
Post a Comment